Michael J. Zussman
• New York Law School, J.D., cum laude
• Brandeis University, B.A., Psychology, Theater
Bar & Court Admissions:
• New York
• U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Michael counsels tech start-ups, entrepreneurs, artists, musicians, film production companies, independent record labels, videographers, small to medium sized businesses and individuals as they develop and expand their business. His practice focuses on corporate transactions, company formation, financing and VC issues, private placements, copyright and trademark matters and drafting contracts, licenses and releases.
Michael stresses branding considerations and how to creatively protect a business through proper branding and trademark law. He handles corporate matters from formation and incorporation – to business transactions – to planning exit strategies well in advance. Michael also works closely with technology-based companies developing mobile applications on privacy compliance and other issues relating to user-generated content developed for social media, interactive, and mobile platforms.
Michael earned his law degree, cum laude, from New York Law School, and his undergraduate degree from Brandeis University. During law school, Michael was named to the Dean’s List-High Honors, and was a Teaching Assistant for both Contracts and Civil Procedure.
Michael has practiced at law firms in Manhattan and Long Island, NY, and he has worked for an independent film production company, SONY Music Entertainment and a law firm focusing on copyright litigation.
Michael’s passion for intellectual property and entertainment law originates from his experience as a musician, theater stage manager and lighting designer.
In addition to practicing law, Michael is an endurance runner who has completed the 2010 New York City Marathon, over a dozen half marathons and is currently in training for both the San Francisco and New York City Marathons in 2013.
• Zussman, Michael; McMurry, Glen, 44 Million Reasons Why You Should Use Social Media in Your Law Practice, The Federal Lawyer, (expected publication: June 2013)
• Judicial Profile: Hon. Morton Denlow, U.S. Magistrate Judge, Northern District of Illinois,
The Federal Lawyer, Dec. 2012
• Taking a Bite from the Proverbial Apple: Intellectual Property for Attorneys and Entrepreneurs,
The Federal Lawyer, Jan/Feb 2012
• Co-panelist, “Exploiting Your Music: Debunking Copyright Myths“, New York Law School, March 14, 2013
• Co-panelist, “The Art of Conversation,” NYC Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, January 23, 2013
Memberships & Affiliations:
• Federal Bar Association
Board Member, Younger Lawyers Division
National Delegate, CLE/Events Chair and Board Member, Southern District of New York Chapter
• New York County Lawyers Association
• New York State Bar Association
• Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
• New York Road Runners